Fire Safety Inspections
Fire Safety inspections are required to be conducted. While not intended to be all-inclusive below is a list of the most common violations found during inspections. Please contact the Fire Marshal Matt Cawley at 772-288-5360, ext 2 if you have any questions.
FOR ALL BUSINESSES
- Building numbers
- 6 inches on the front & rear doors of the building
- Contrasting with background color
- Electrical panel(s) at least 36 inches of clearance, clearly labeled, with no voids
- Wiring in conduit and connections in junction boxes
- Cover plates on outlets, GFCI outlets where shock hazard exists
- Exits Clear of obstructions with working, battery backup, exit signs
- Doors unlocked to occupants during business hours
- Number of exits varies by occupancy type- inspector will verify compliance
- Fire Extinguishers - at least one 2A-10BC extinguisher every 3,000 sq ft with maximum 75-ft travel distance. Additional extinguishers may be required for higher hazard occupancies
- Must be mounted no more, at the top of the extinguisher, than 5 ft from the floor
- Must be visible and readily accessible
- Current annual inspection tag on extinguisher(s)
WHERE REQUIRED BY CODE
- Fire Alarm System Current inspection tag on Fire Alarm Panel
- Alarm log with inspection records and system diagram
- Backflow preventer inspected annually – must be immediately visible and accessible
- Valves monitored by fire alarm
- Current inspection tag on main riser
- Spare sprinkler heads and wrench on site
- 18 inches of clearance around sprinkler heads
- Hood System Current inspection tag, Hood cleaning tag & gas/electric shut-off with sign
- Grease filters and ductwork clean
- Fans operational
- Tenant Separation Firewalls with compliant protection of penetrations
- Fire Sprinkler System Fire department connection clear of obstructions and inlets capped with signage
- Fire Department Connection labeled with signage
- Sign must be 18 X 12 inches of rigid metal material.
- Red lettering on white background.
- FDC letters 4 inch minimum, Address 1 inch minimum
- Mounted to a steel U‐channel post.
- Maximum of 7 feet in height from the road way to the bottom part of the sign.
- Address or addresses supplied must be on the sign. In the event the address is not applicable, sign must have the area that FDC services. (i.e. Dock Supply)